Andre,

Were you attempting to respond to an existing defect?  Since you mention
confirming an existing bug that's what I was thinking.   We need to move
this bug regardless as gnome-nettool is a network information tool and
does not deal with network drivers.

** Changed in: gnome-nettool (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-nettool in Ubuntu.

  Can confirm problem with the same chipset

Status in “gnome-nettool” package in Ubuntu:

  Hi,

  I can confirm the error with my wlan-stick. It works perfectly in an
  initial install of ubuntu 12.04 after updating to the latest patch
  state via update-manager the device just stopped working properly.

  Due this happend to my old install and could not solve it, I decided
  to have a look using the device with live-cd of ubuntu 12.04. It
  worked without any problems. So I did a fresh install of ubuntu 12.04
  and it still worked as it should.

  After (and even while) updating the system via update-manager to
  latest patch level, the device did see much less networks in the area
  and finally could not connect with my own wlan.

  Heres my device (had the same problem with a netgear usb device WNA 1000M
using the same chipset => store refund and bough another device, due I thought
it was simply broken):
  Bus 001 Device 003: ID 050d:2103 Belkin Components F7D2102 802.11n N300 Micro
Wireless Adapter v3000 [Realtek RTL8192CU]

  I tracked some logging of syslog which is hopefully helpful for you
  (will add it later, because I cannot access the textfile at the
  moment).