Apparently the --help output is a bit misleading, you are not supposed
to specify a device with -d. But if you try without:

$ gvfs-mount  -u /dev/sdb1
Error finding enclosing mount: Containing mount does not exist

Both errors happen exactly the same with current git head, so regardless
of whether or not -d should be used, something is wrong.

Packages, which is subscribed to gvfs in Ubuntu.

  gvfs-mount -u  tries to mount, unclear --help

Status in “gvfs” package in Ubuntu:

  I have my USB stick automounted by nautilus/gvfs. Trying to unmount it
  gives:

  $ gvfs-mount -u -d /dev/sdb1
  Error mounting /dev/sdb1: Device /dev/sdb1 is already mounted at
`/media/martin/4805-C45B'.

  Apparently it tries to mount it again instead of unmount. Same with
  using --unmount.