** Changed in: mactel-support

  Changing keyboard layout to Macintosh failed

Status in GNOME Control Center:
  Invalid
Status in Mactel Support:
  Invalid
Status in “gnome-control-center” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
   affects ubuntu

  In a fresh installation of Hardy, fully up-to-date, with no previous
  ~/.* files, I cannot change to the correct keyboard layout. This means
  that I can't type a hash, which can be important when programming :)

  This follows a problem I had a few days ago where I pressed a key on the
  keypad and the keyboard layout went completely wrong. Most of the keys
  didn't work at all, and some of the letter keys were recognised as
  numbers. Changing the keyboard layout did not help, nor did rebooting. I
  deleted all the ~/.gconf* and ~/.gnome directories, then logged in
  again, and that worked.

  While the keyboard layout was completely b0rked, I did manage to run the
  commands suggested in the error message, and they came out as pasted at
  the end. This is the same as the more recent but less eventful layout
  failure.

  I'm using a one of the newish Apple keyboards, the thin ones, connected
  by USB.

  The error message:

  > Error activating XKB configuration.
  > It can happen under various circumstances:
  > - a bug in libxklavier library
  > - a bug in X server (xkbcomp, xmodmap utilities)
  > - X server with incompatible libxkbfile implementation
  >
  > X server version data:
  > The X.Org Foundation
  > 10400090

  $ xprop -root | grep XKB
  _XKB_RULES_NAMES_BACKUP(STRING) = "xorg", "pc105", "gb", "mac", ""
  _XKB_RULES_NAMES(STRING) = "xorg", "pc105", "gb", "mac", ""
  $ gconftool-2 -R /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/kbd
   layouts = []
   model = macintosh
   overrideSettings = true
   options = []