Public bug reported:

In Precise; WPA/WPA2 was disabled for ad-hoc networks because a bug in
the kernel breaks WPA-None support (and actually creates networks
unsecured rather than encrypted with WPA).

We now have support for actual IBSS-RSN (WPA2 security on ad-hoc) in
wpasupplicant and it can be enabled in wpasupplicant, network-manager,
nm-applet...

We should make use of this feature to offer our users a way to create
properly secured IBSS networks rather than relying on WEP or using
unsecured networks.

It will require modifications in three packages:

 - network-manager: drop the patch that disables WPA-None (if any) and add the
necessary backend bits for using IBSS-RSN.
 - network-manager-applet: drop the patch that disables WPA-None (if any) and
add the necessary frontend bits to not disable WPA/WPA2; and use IBSS-RSN when
WPA/WPA2 is selected for ad-hoc networks.
 - wpa: build with CONFIG_IBSS_RSN=y so that IBSS-RSN support gets enabled.

*** While this involves some form of UI changes there is no UIFe request
because there are no string changes; the option for WPA/WPA2 has been
available since about Maverick, and the change only involves making it
sensitive (clickable) again.

Testing was done between two systems; the created network appears
secured from both systems and on an external device (used Android phone
to detect the network from outside the tested systems; using Wifi-
Radar). I've been running the test packages for 6 days; testing was done
following the plan at
http://wiki.ubuntu.com/NetworkManager/DistroTesting.

Availability of IBSS-RSN can still be dependent on hardware support; in
the cases where hardware doesn't support IBSS-RSN; the option will
remain disabled in UI.

** Affects: network-manager (Ubuntu)

** Affects: network-manager-applet (Ubuntu)

** Affects: wpa (Ubuntu)

** Also affects: network-manager-applet (Ubuntu)

** Also affects: wpa (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: network-manager (Ubuntu)
     Assignee: (unassigned) => Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre (mathieu-tl)

** Changed in: network-manager-applet (Ubuntu)
     Assignee: (unassigned) => Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre (mathieu-tl)

** Changed in: wpa (Ubuntu)
     Assignee: (unassigned) => Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre (mathieu-tl)

** Summary changed:

- [FFe] Enable WPA2 for IBSS (ad-hoc)
+ [FFe] Enable RSN (WPA2) encryption support for IBSS (ad-hoc)

  [FFe] Enable RSN (WPA2) encryption support for IBSS (ad-hoc)

Status in “network-manager” package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in “network-manager-applet” package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in “wpa” package in Ubuntu: