A side issue here is that the current version of Disks seems to apply
this option by default. I used the utility to persistently mount some
favourite partitions, without touching the mount options, and
consequently they would fail to mount in either Disks or via "sudo mount
/mountpoint". If I edited the mount options in Disks to remove x-gvfs-
show then they could be mounted.

If the underlying support is enabled then it may be reasonable to
include this option (and I am running a beta after all), but otherwise,
Disks is broken in that it's including an unsupported option in its
default mount option string.

I'm running:
gnome-disk-uti 3.5.3-0ubunt
util-linux 2.20.1-5.1ub

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-disk-utility in Ubuntu.

  x-gvfs-show option doesn't work

Status in “gnome-disk-utility” package in Ubuntu:

  was reporting a separate bug #1010858 about double icons appearing for
  mounted filesystems, and it occurred to me that it was happening for
  volumes I had listed in /etc/fstab with uhelper=udisks, the mechanism
  i used in previous versions to mount internal drives and see them in
  launcher etc.

  In investigating, I found the apparently-new gnome-disk-utility
  "Disks" and that seems to have new options for doing this properly,
  but when I tried to use them in closest-to-default way, it failed.

  The attached screenshot shows the options I had set on a volume. Below
  is the line that generated in /etc/fstab:

  LABEL=Spinner /mnt/Spinner auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0

  It fails to mount when you try to mount it in the disk utility. An
  error dialogue opens with:

  Error mounting system-managed device /dev/sdg1: Command-line `mount
"/mnt/Spinner"' exited with non-zero exit status 32: mount: wrong fs type, bad
option, bad superblock on /dev/sdg1,
         dmesg | tail  or so

   (udisks-error-quark, 0)

  dmesg | tail gives:

  [  619.470006] EXT4-fs (sdg1): Unrecognized mount option "x-gvfs-show"
  or missing value

  I expect the bug isn't so much in the disk utility app itself as in
  the underlying mount tools that have probably been compiled without a
  required option, but the user experience is that it fails when using
  the disk utility, hence reporting it here for now.

  I suspect I can make this work a different way using prior knowledge,
  to make it mount in /media and using uhelper=udisks2 - will be trying
  that in a moment - but this seemed the logical, minimal way to proceed
  for the new utility and it failed.

  Package: gnome-disk-utility 3.5.1-0ubuntu3
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  Date: Sun Jun 10 18:54:35 2012
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 11.10 "Oneiric Ocelot" - Release amd64 (20111012)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=en_GB:en
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, user)
   LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: gnome-disk-utility
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to quantal on 2012-06-09 (1 days ago)