This is also effecting firefox. Firefox doesnt spell check anything,
even with updated settings "Check my spelling while i type" and language
selected.

  Spellcheck does not detect any mis-spelled words on 12.04

Status in “libreoffice” package in Ubuntu:

  This has been the case since Beta 2.

  To reproduce:

  1) Type out a load of rubbish on the keyboard as well as a few correctly
spelled words. I used "vmw;qbjk aoeuasnth aoeu house in the street"
  2) Press F7 to initiate the spell check.

  Actual Result: The spell check notifies the user of completion without any
recognition of errors.
  Expected Result: The spell check should highlight each misspelled word and
offer alternatives.

  WORKAROUND: Open the dash and run Language Support
  2) Under the 'Language' tab, choose another variant of English and drag it
above the US English so it takes precedence.
  3) Click "Apply System-wide" and log out.

  On logging back in, spell check will work.

  Not reproducible in Xubuntu 32-bit.

  lsb_release -rd
  Release:      12.04

  apt-cache policy libreoffice-writer
  libreoffice-writer:
    Installed: 1:3.5.3-0ubuntu1
    Candidate: 1:3.5.3-0ubuntu1
    Version table:
   *** 1:3.5.3-0ubuntu1 0
          500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-updates/main i386
Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
       1:3.5.2-2ubuntu1 0
          500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise/main i386 Packages

  Package: libreoffice-writer 1:3.5.3-0ubuntu1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.2.0-24.37-generic-pae 3.2.14
  Uname: Linux 3.2.0-24-generic-pae i686
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.0.1-0ubuntu7
  Architecture: i386
  Date: Fri May 11 08:53:51 2012
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Beta i386 (20120328)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=en_IE:en
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, no user)