This is still an issue in Ubuntu Precise fully updated.

1) If I use autologin, everything is fine, my keyboard layout is the same as
the system default, En/El.
2) If I use the greeter:
 * I only have "En" available in the greeter,
 * I only have "En" available in the session,
 * I don't get a keyboard layout panel applet in the session.

System settings:
================
alkisg@server:~$ cat /var/lib/AccountsService/users/alkisg

[User]
XSession=ubuntu
XKeyboardLayouts=
Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/faces/guitar.jpg

alkisg@server:~$ cat .dmrc

[Desktop]
Session=ubuntu

alkisg@server:~$ cat /etc/default/keyboard
# Check /usr/share/doc/keyboard-configuration/README.Debian for
# documentation on what to do after having modified this file.

# The following variables describe your keyboard and can have the same
# values as the XkbModel, XkbLayout, XkbVariant and XkbOptions options
# in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

XKBMODEL="pc105"
XKBLAYOUT="us,gr"
XKBVARIANT=","
XKBOPTIONS="grp:alt_shift_toggle,grp_led:scroll"

# If you don't want to use the XKB layout on the console, you can
# specify an alternative keymap.  Make sure it will be accessible
# before /usr is mounted.
# KMAP=/etc/console-setup/defkeymap.kmap.gz

Result with autologin (no greeter, no problem):
alkisg@server:~$ setxkbmap -print
xkb_keymap {
        xkb_keycodes  { include "evdev+aliases(qwerty)" };
        xkb_types     { include "complete"      };
        xkb_compat    { include "complete+ledscroll(group_lock)"        };
        xkb_symbols   { include
"pc+us+gr:2+inet(evdev)+group(alt_shift_toggle)"        };
        xkb_geometry  { include "pc(pc105)"     };
};

Result with lightdm-greeter (problem):
======================================
alkisg@server:~$ setxkbmap -print
xkb_keymap {
        xkb_keycodes  { include "evdev+aliases(qwerty)" };
        xkb_types     { include "complete"      };
        xkb_compat    { include "complete"      };
        xkb_symbols   { include "pc+us+inet(evdev)"     };
        xkb_geometry  { include "pc(pc105)"     };
};

** Changed in: unity-greeter (Ubuntu Precise)

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-settings-daemon in Ubuntu.

  the unity-greeter keyboard's selection doesn't respect the user config

Status in “accountsservice” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “gnome-settings-daemon” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “lightdm” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “unity-greeter” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “accountsservice” source package in Precise:
  Fix Released
Status in “gnome-settings-daemon” source package in Precise:
  Fix Released
Status in “lightdm” source package in Precise:
  Fix Released
Status in “unity-greeter” source package in Precise:

  Using the current trunk from lightdm and unity-greeter, unity-greeter
  display a keyboard indicator but default to "en" where my system and
  user .dmrc are set to fr.