This bug was fixed in the package unity-greeter - 12.10.3-0ubuntu1

---------------
unity-greeter (12.10.3-0ubuntu1) quantal; urgency=low

  * New upstream release
    - Rearrange some UI bits (LP: #1049231, LP: #1049235, LP: #1049236,
      LP: #1049239)
    - After a remote login error, do not use cache when trying same user
      again
    - When no users and no manual entry, force manual entry to appear
      (LP: #1044251)
    - When switching between monitors, re-adjust user names (LP: #1043604)
    - Center remote login help dialog
    - Use the xsettings plugin to apply icons-in-menus gsetting
      (LP: #927236)
  * debian/unity-greeter.pkla:
    - Fix policykit file to not be order-dependent and spell out the
      NetworkManager permissions instead of using a wildcard.
      LP: #1048522
  * debian/control:
    - Add some Build-Depends for new test suite
  * debian/patches/01_add_remote_login_help_icon.patch:
    - Drop, remote login help icon is included upstream
  * debian/patches/02_use_remote_login_hint.patch:
    - Update to apply again
 -- Michael Terry <mte...@ubuntu.com>   Mon, 17 Sep 2012 13:31:13 -0400

** Changed in: unity-greeter (Ubuntu Quantal)

Packages, which is subscribed to unity-greeter in Ubuntu.

  Unable to login - Password input box does not appear

Status in Unity Greeter:
  Fix Released
Status in “unity-greeter” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “unity-greeter” source package in Quantal:

  This is in a NIS/Kerberos environment with shared users in a lab.
  /home is on NFS. I have configured lightdm to disable the list of
  users with these entries in /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf:

  [SeatDefaults]
  greeter-session=unity-greeter
  allow-guest=false
  greeter-hide-users=true
  greeter-show-manual-login=true

  The symptoms are actually quite similar to bug #986967, but happen
  again in quantal. I can enter my user name, but the password box won't
  appear.

  Package: lightdm 1.3.3-0ubuntu1