My HP printer suddenly didn't work anymore, and /var/log/syslog reported
for udev-configure-printer:

"failed to connect to CUPS server; giving up"

I decided to reinstall cups and hplip and got the following error
messages:

"AppArmor parser error for /etc/apparmor.d/usr.sbin.cupsd in
/etc/apparmor.d/usr.sbin.cupsd at line 18: Invalid capability
block_suspend."

... and:

"start: Job failed to start
invoke-rc.d: initscript cups, action "start" failed."

... resulting in errors related to dpkg (dependencies problems).

After commenting out the line

capability block_suspend,

in /etc/apparmor.d/usr.sbin.cupsd, all is well: Reinstalling cups and
hplip was successful and my printer works again.

** Affects: cups (Ubuntu)

AppArmor parser error for /etc/apparmor.d/usr.sbin.cupsd
Packages, which is subscribed to cups in Ubuntu.