if the problem arises with scanimage as well, the problem is within the sane
libraries/drivers.
please take this to the sane-devel mailing list:
that is probably the only place where this can be solved...

Packages, which is subscribed to simple-scan in Ubuntu.

  UMAX Astra 1220U scanner support stopped working

Status in “simple-scan” package in Ubuntu:

  trying to scan a page using SimpleScan and an old UMAX Astra 1220U
  scanner fails. There is a row size problem that causes SimpleScan to
  think that there are 3 more pixels per row than there really are,
  causing an intense shear (what are supposed to be vertical lines now
  have a slope of 1/3). There is also a colour offset problem.

  I am currently reporting about 11.10 (noncustomised). It used to work
  some years ago in Ubuntu (2008 approx) using SANE from inside GIMP. To
  get my sheet scanned today, I had someone do it for me from MacOS 9
  (!!!) because I don't have Ubuntu 2008 anymore.

  I think that there was also another version of Ubuntu in the meantime
  that made it fail in a totally different manner, but I don't have
  details and never reported it. This is just to say to be careful when
  going through previous versions of the code...