** CVE added: http://www.cve.mitre.org/cgi-
bin/cvename.cgi?name=2011-3349

** Description changed:

  Hey,

  as you were on CC: I guess you're already aware, but reporting so it can
  be tracked upstream.

  Short version: http://seclists.org/oss-sec/2011/q3/393

  Long version: .dmrc and Xauthority files are written by lightdm running
  as root while they're in user controlled folders. An user can, via a
  symlink, overwrite root-owned files. It doesn't look like it can achieve
  easily privilege-escalation (since the content is quite fixed) but it's
  still bad.

  Basically the correct fix seems to have workers process which would
  setuid() to the user before writing content to those files.

- There's no CVE affected yet.
+ CVE-2011-3349

Packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  files written as root to user-controlled folders

Status in Light Display Manager:
  Triaged
Status in “lightdm” package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress
Status in “lightdm” source package in Oneiric:
  In Progress
Status in “lightdm” package in Debian:

  Hey,

  as you were on CC: I guess you're already aware, but reporting so it
  can be tracked upstream.

  Short version: http://seclists.org/oss-sec/2011/q3/393

  Long version: .dmrc and Xauthority files are written by lightdm
  running as root while they're in user controlled folders. An user can,
  via a symlink, overwrite root-owned files. It doesn't look like it can
  achieve easily privilege-escalation (since the content is quite fixed)
  but it's still bad.

  Basically the correct fix seems to have workers process which would
  setuid() to the user before writing content to those files.

  CVE-2011-3349