madbiologist, please do not solicit Ubuntu Community members to submit
attachments to this report, as this report is about  "
fglrx-updates broken dependency with xorg-video-abi-12 (Quantal)".

Instead, we would want Jaromir Obr to file a new report by executing the
following in a terminal:
ubuntu-bug compiz

For more on this, please see the Ubuntu Bug Control and Ubuntu Bug Squad
article:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/BestPractices#X.2BAC8-Reporting.Focus_on_One_Issue

and Ubuntu Community article:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs#Bug_Reporting_Etiquette

Thank you for your understanding.

Helpful Bug Reporting Links:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs#A3._Make_sure_the_bug_hasn.27t_already_been_reported
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs#Adding_Apport_Debug_Information_to_an_Existing_Launchpad_Bug
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs#Adding_Additional_Attachments_to_an_Existing_Launchpad_Bug

Packages, which is subscribed to fglrx-installer in Ubuntu.

  fglrx-updates broken dependency with xorg-video-abi-12 (Quantal)

Status in NVIDIA Drivers Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in “fglrx-installer” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in “fglrx-installer-updates” package in Ubuntu:

  fglrx needs updated in quantal for the xserver 1.13 API.

  [Workaround]
  Use the FOSS -ati driver.

  [Original Report]
  I run updates today on my quantal box.

  I have a ATI Madison [Radeon HD 5000M Series] and the updates removes
  the xserver-xorg-video-radeon and xserver-xorg-video-ati

  When I restart, all xserver is broken because /usr/bin/X cannot be
  found. I even don't have vesa or fbdev for start with "startx"
  command.

  I install with recovery mode xserver-xorg-video-vesa and xserver-xorg-
  video-fbdev and now I have a crappy 1024 resolution and no second
  monitor support.

  If I install the packages xserver-xorg-video-radeon and xserver-xorg-
  video-ati I still have the same problem.

  So I try to install fglrx-updates, and it conflicts with a dependency
  of a virtual package that it is not provided anymore

  sudo apt-get install fglrx-updates fglrx-amdcccle-updates
  Reading package lists... Done
  Building dependency tree
  Reading state information... Done
  or been moved out of Incoming.

   fglrx-updates : Depends: xorg-video-abi-12

   sudo apt-get install xorg-video-abi-12
  Reading package lists... Done
  Building dependency tree
  Reading state information... Done
  Package xorg-video-abi-12 is a virtual package provided by:
    xserver-xorg-core 2:1.12.1.902-1ubuntu1 [Not candidate version]

  E: Package 'xorg-video-abi-12' has no installation candidate

  Package: fglrx-updates (not installed)
  Uname: Linux 3.5.0-7-generic i686
  ApportVersion: 2.4-0ubuntu6
  Architecture: i386
  Date: Fri Aug  3 16:54:41 2012
  InstallationMedia:

  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: fglrx-installer-updates
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to quantal on 2012-06-05 (59 days ago)