That is correct. It's still not fixed as of Ubuntu Precise will all
updates to this day.

** Package changed: gnome-control-center (Ubuntu) => gnome-font-viewer
(Ubuntu)

** Changed in: gnome-font-viewer (Ubuntu)

  font viewer returns "failed" on installing of already existing font
  instead of "already installed" or something

Status in “gnome-font-viewer” package in Ubuntu:

  When I open a font, Font Viewer shows an active button "Install Font",
  no matter is it already installed or not. If I click the button and
  the font is already installed, the button changes to "Install Failed".
  This seems confusing. It's better to check if the font is already
  installed right after loading preview and offer installation only if
  the font isn't installed.