** Summary changed:

- Radeon driver nolonger works without drm
+ Radeon driver nolonger works on PowerPC without drm

** Changed in: xserver-xorg-video-ati (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-ati in Ubuntu.

  Radeon driver nolonger works on PowerPC without drm

Status in “xserver-xorg-video-ati” package in Ubuntu:

  Hi, I'm trying to find out the best radeon setup for PowerPC in
  quantal and need some advice!  The PowerPC kernel is currently setup
  with KMS enabled, BUT the legacy framebuffer radeonfb is still built
  in.

  Although this is obviously not an ideal setup it seemed to work okay
  as a default setup up until August when UMS was dropped in quantal.
  I'll attach a log from my 12.04 install so you can see what used to
  happen.  Despite the message "[KMS] drm report modesetting isn't
  supported" the radeon driver continues to load in 12.04 although
  drm/dri is non-functioning (because of the presence of radeonfb).

  Now in quantal the radeon driver unloads pretty much immediatly after
  the "[KMS] drm report modesetting isn't supported" message.  The fbdev
  driver takes over in 8 bit pseudo colour which causes all sorts of
  problems (bug 1046951).

  Is it possible to have KMS without drm?

  Radeon KMS on PowerPC still causes a lot of freezing problems and this
  is one of the reasons radeonfb is still included in 12.04.  Radeonfb
  is also needed for suspend.  Is there a way to have radeonfb and KMS
  working together (without drm) which seemed to be the case in 12.04?

  If not then radeonfb should (IMHO) be removed from being built into
  the PowerPC kernel, but I currently would hit a new bug with that (bug
  1058641).

  Thanks