I am experiencing this with a multiseat setup. Editing lightdm.conf,
/home/user/.dmrc and /var/cache/lightdm/user.dmrc produce no change as
they are overwritten on shutdown. Editing
/var/lib/AccountService/users/user resulted in a failed boot.

What did work as a workaround was to shut down the system while the user
was logged into the desired session. So for those that are experiencing
this bug that are NOT using a multiseat setup, maybe login to the
desired session, ctrl+alt+F1 and sudo reboot. Maybe that will work until
a proper fix is realized.

Packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  LightDM refuses to respect changed default session for autologin

Status in “lightdm” package in Ubuntu:

  I have tried editing /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf and adding user-
  session=XBMC (XVMC being the session I want to default to) but to no
  avail.