I also have same problem since ubuntu 11.04. for me this is not limited
to text editor. i face this problem everywhere except in terminal.

most of time my pointer's position changes to any random position itself. and
sometime content of last copied lined get paste itself at current position.
this spoils my text, I have to undo every time.
I am very sure that I dont touch my touchpad.
what can be wrong ? please suggest

Packages, which is subscribed to gedit in Ubuntu.

  gedit cursor change position during writing

Status in “gedit” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  Binary package hint: gedit

  if I write a letter with gedit, while typing the cursor change the line
unexpectedly (Eg. i'm typing on line 52 and in the middle of a word the cursor
move to line 47 )
  this problem is repeated systematically during a session

  ProblemType: Bug
  Architecture: i386