This bug was fixed in the package unity-greeter - 12.10.4-0ubuntu1

---------------
unity-greeter (12.10.4-0ubuntu1) quantal; urgency=low

  * New upstream bug fix release
    - Fix rendering of password entry's spinner (LP: #1059447)
    - Fix rendering of password entry's cursor after closing a dialog
      (LP: #1049261)
    - Fix slight pixel jump in names as they finish scrolling (LP: #1056941)
    - Fix not being able to click on first few sessions in session chooser
      (LP: #1052453)
    - Cleanly close onboard keyboard to prevent it crashing on login
      (LP: #1055698)
    - Use a lightdm hint for controlling whether remote login is enabled
  * debian/patches/trunk_session_chooser.patch,
    debian/patches/02_use_remote_login_hint.patch:
    - Dropped, included upstream
 -- Michael Terry <mte...@ubuntu.com>   Mon, 01 Oct 2012 12:33:16 -0400

** Changed in: unity-greeter (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to unity-greeter in Ubuntu.

  Cannot focus password field after clicking an appindicator

Status in Unity Greeter:
  Fix Released
Status in “unity-greeter” package in Ubuntu:

  Hi,

  I am using unity-greeter version 12.10.2-0ubuntu4.

  My system is set to automatically open Onboard when the unity-greeter
  appears; but this might not be relevant. Thus, when unity-greeter
  appears, Onboard also appears and the focus is set to the password
  field and I can immediately enter the password; so everything is ok so
  far.

  However, if I click on an appindicator, the focus goes away from the
  password field, and clicking on the password field to set the focus
  back to it does not work; as if the clicks were ignored. I have to
  restart the computer to put unity-greeter in its state where the
  password field is selected (since it gets automatically selected when
  the unity-greeter appears).

  If you need further pieces of information, please ask for them.

  Cheers