The best way for me to describe this is via video
http://youtu.be/K2YyF2LIDEY?hd=1

The video has some more interesting stuff happen in the second half.

During the video I clicked on the desktop and some of the launcher
icons.

To give a sense as to how up to date my packages are. After capturing
this video I ran apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade

and received the following http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=GNzAKDYQ

** Affects: unity (Ubuntu)

** Tags: bot-comment
--
Ubuntu 12.10 Unity Launcher Indicator Flickering
Packages, which is subscribed to unity in Ubuntu.