I tried this but I can't confirm this bug. Can somebody test this and
tell me if it is fixed please?

** Changed in: thunderbird (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to thunderbird in Ubuntu.

  Unable to choose dictionary in Thunderbird with only Mozilla's XPI
  spellcheckers

Status in “thunderbird” package in Ubuntu:

  From the Mozilla webpage:
  http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/dictionaries.html

  I have downloaded their plugin XPI spellchecker:
  http://downloads.mozdev.org/dictionaries/spell-de-DE.xpi

  But even after installing this in Thunderbird, I can't choose the new
  dictionary in the preferences. Once I have installed a myspell package
  as instructed below, I am able to use the XPI dictionary also, but
  there is no reason I should not use the Mozilla-provided XPI
  dictionary without installing myspell.

  Kindly enable the dictionary combobox immediately even when only an
  XPI dictionary has been installed.

  This bug is still present in Thunderbird 2.0.0.6+nobinonly-0ubuntu1 on
  Gutsy. It was originally reported for a clean installation of Feisty.