Public bug reported:

I used to start the evolution mail client by pressing the dedicated
button on my notebook or on an attached multimedia USB keyboard which
also has a dedicated button to open the default mail client.

Since last week however, when I press the button (either on the notebook
or on the USB keyboard), only the small window prompting for password is
opened. (It is the password required to access the IMAP server on which
I have my email account.) I.e. the main evolution window is not opened.

I stress that the password is entered correctly. Moreover, the evolution
program does start but only invisibly, somewhere in background. (I can
see it as a process running in the operating system.) If I start the
evolution by a mouse-click on the associated icon or by typing the
command "evolution" in a terminal, it starts as it should. In only fails
when I try to start it by one of the dedicated multimedia keys.

I recall that this bug has arisen only a few days ago and that I keep
using the same version of ubuntu on the machine since April or so.

My notebook is Fujitsu-Siemens AMILO Pro V3205. (A 32-bit machine.)
I am using the ubuntu classic environment.

Package: evolution 2.32.2-0ubuntu7
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.38-11.48-generic 2.6.38.8
Uname: Linux 2.6.38-11-generic i686
Architecture: i386
Date: Wed Sep 14 21:27:03 2011
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwhal" - Beta i386 (20110413)
ProcEnviron:
 LANGUAGE=en
 PATH=(custom, user)
 LANG=en_GB.utf8
 LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
SourcePackage: evolution

** Affects: evolution (Ubuntu)

** Tags: apport-bug i386 natty

Packages, which is subscribed to evolution in Ubuntu.

  evolution window not opened if multimedia key is used

Status in “evolution” package in Ubuntu: