I think this behavior is not as it should be.
At the time I wrote the previous message, it did work with suspend-to-ram.
Now I checked with hibernate, and again I need to manually cut ssh connection
and then do something to reconnect. And before I cut the connection, things
freeze.

So, the problems I have:
- the freeze on some things (Nautilus, gedit) before I cut the (broken)
connection.
- the steps needed to get back to the connection and nautilus browsing state
that i had before hibernation.

I suggest some of the people at ubuntu should test this, and then decide
what is the intended / desirable behavior in this kind of situation. Atm
it seems that there is no intentional spec about this, just anything can
happen.

And please, be careful with modal dialogs, that interrupt the flow at
the wrong time. The user should not care about the broken connection,
until she wants to interact with the nautilus or gedit tab that depends
on the connection.

  nautilus ssh connection after suspend to ram - browsing location lost

Status in “nautilus” package in Ubuntu:

  10.04 LTS - the Lucid Lynx

  Following steps:
  1. Places > Bookmarks > "ssh on server xyz"
  (that's a bookmark I made in a remote folder)
  2. I type the password to open the nautilus window with the remote folder.
  3. Ctrl-T to open two other nautilus tabs in different remote folders on the
same ssh connection. Navigate around in all three tabs, but stay on the remote
server.
  4. Open one of the remote files in gedit.
  5. Suspend to RAM.
  6. Wake up from Suspend.

  Now we are in a strange situation:
  - The gedit remote file looks like it is still open, but doing anything in
there makes the gedit tab unresponsive.
  - All three nautilus tabs look like they are still open, but they are
unresponsive.

  The only way to fix it:
  7. Unmount the ssh connection (in the nautilus side pane)
  (btw, left-clicking it makes the side pane scroll state jump down)

  Now all but one of the remote nautilus tabs is being closed, and instead we
get one nautilus tab in a local location.
  The file in gedit is still open.

  Now we can either
  8.a) Save the file in gedit -> asks me for the ssh password, and the ssh
connection is back. (but nautilus location is still lost) Or
  8.b) Hit "Back" in nautilus -> asks me for the ssh password, the ssh
connection is back, and the nautilus location is restored - for one of the
tabs. The other tabs are still closed, the location lost.
  8.c) Use again the bookmark to get to the remote location.

  Now the problem is, the other two tabs are lost, and I need to navigate again
to get to these locations.
  So,
  9. Ctrl-T to open two other Nautilus tabs. Navigate around until we are back
at the locations where we have been.

  To summarize, the problems are:
  - Having to click around more than necessary to reconnect the ssh connection.
  - Having to navigate again to get back to the folders, instead of them being
remembered.

  Thanks.