Torsten Spindler [2011-09-15 11:58 -0000]:
> Is there any other place in the system that is run only when a system is
> being docked?

We don't have that, but current upower has a property for this, and
libupower-glib exports it. So you can hook a callback to that signal
to run somethign whenever the docking status fails.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-settings-daemon in Ubuntu.

  gnome-display-properties monitor layout not saved when re-docking (and
  display port)

Status in “gnome-settings-daemon” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: gnome-control-center

  This happens on Lucid 10.4.02 with gnome-control-center version
  1:2.30.1-0ubuntu1

  I am not sure this is specifically gnome-control-center, but I figured
  I'd start with that package and we can move as appropriate.

  There appears to be two bugs here, but I wanted to keep the initial
  report as one issue, in case they're actually related. For what it's
  worth, I have reproduced this issue on a Lenovo X200 and have users
  internally who can reproduce this issue on a Lenovo X201 and a T410 on
  several different types and sizes of external monitor (all attached
  via display port -> DVI converters).

  The two issues are:

  - Windows "get lost" when display properties change.
  - The display property preferences aren't saved when undocking / re-docking.

  Here's how to reproduce:

  - Install Lucid Laptop on an X200
  - Attach the laptop to a docking station connected by display port -> dvr to
a 24" monitor
  - Configure (system -> preferences -> monitor) displays to not be mirrored,
show monitors in panel checked, drag the monitor to a different orientation,
and increase the resolution in the monitor to something other than what the
laptop has.
  - Open a web browser, put it in the 24" display.
  - Open a terminal and a gnome app (I used gnome mine) in the laptop display.
  - Detach the laptop (without suspending) to simulate going to a meeting, etc.

  At this point the first bug (about windows getting messed up) occurs.
  Notice that, while the browser window is moved to the laptop display,
  the gnome mines and original terminal disappeared. If I open a new
  terminal and run ps, I can see they're still running, but they're not
  on any of my visible/accessible displays.

  - Re-attach the laptop to the docking station

  At this point, the second bug is reproduced. The monitor configuration
  has reverted to "mirrored displays." When I reset my preferences to
  what I want, the original browser window (as well as the preferences
  window) moves to the 24" monitor, but my gnome mines are still
  missing, as well as the original terminal (the new terminal I opened
  in the laptop while detached in order to check for the disappeared
  window's pids is moved to the new monitor).