I have this issue too, and it also affects LinPhone.

Packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  Skype 4.0.0.8 uses the same device for "Audio Out" and "Ringing"

Status in “pulseaudio” package in Ubuntu:

  I'm normally using a USB C-Media sound card with a head set as audio
  in/out and built-in sound card for ringing voices. It's not possible
  to choose the separate output device for ringing any more. If you
  choose the device in Pulseaudio Volume Control -> Playback for Audio
  Out, the same device for Ringing will be used. After changing the
  Ringing device (simply choose anther one during ringing signal) the
  Audio Out uses then the same device. In Skype 2.2  was possible to set
  separate devices at this way. I tested this on to PCs with the same
  result.

  $ lsb_release -rd
  Release:      12.04
  $ apt-cache policy skype
  skype:
    Installiert: 4.0.0.8-0oneiric1
    Kandidat:    4.0.0.8-0oneiric1
    Versionstabelle:
   *** 4.0.0.8-0oneiric1 0
          500 http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ precise/partner i386 Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
  $ apt-cache policy skype-bin
  skype-bin:
    Installiert: 4.0.0.8-0oneiric1
    Kandidat:    4.0.0.8-0oneiric1
    Versionstabelle:
   *** 4.0.0.8-0oneiric1 0
          500 http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ precise/partner i386 Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
  $ apt-cache policy pulseaudio
  pulseaudio:
    Installiert: 1:1.1-0ubuntu15.1
    Kandidat:    1:1.1-0ubuntu15.1
    Versionstabelle:
   *** 1:1.1-0ubuntu15.1 0
          500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-updates/main i386
Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
       1:1.1-0ubuntu15 0
          500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise/main i386 Packages

  I assume it's a Skype bug and not the Ubuntu Bug.