Can you please let me know what greeter are you using and it's version?

** Changed in: lightdm (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  unable to retype login details on lightdm with userlist disabled

Status in “lightdm” package in Ubuntu:

  Its impossible to retype the login details if a mistake during login
  on lightdm with userlist disabled. I noticed this problem on Xubuntu
  12.04.

  This bug can be reproduced always. I noticed it while trying to setup
  a laptop image for my institute. We disabled the userlist for lightdm
  for security purpose so that users would have to manually type in
  their username. I noticed that if I made a mistake while typing the
  user credentials (whether in the password or username) the lightdm
  gives me the username/password incorrect error but it does not provide
  me the username dialog box so that I can start all over again. What I
  get instead is a message that asks me to retype the password (which
  should not be the case because sometimes the mistake was in the
  username not the password)

  When this happens the best way to login is either to switch to console
  mode and restart lightdm, or to reboot the computer completely. I
  think this is a major bug which will affect many people who use Ubuntu
  (or in my case xubuntu) in enterprise.

  Package: lightdm 1.2.1-0ubuntu1.1
  Uname: Linux 3.2.0-30-generic i686
  ApportVersion: 2.0.1-0ubuntu12