Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make
Ubuntu better. Please run the command 'apport-collect 1024126' which
will attach necessary information for debugging this as an Xorg problem.
See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troubleshooting for additional info.
Thanks in advance.

** Package changed: ubuntu => xorg (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: xorg (Ubuntu)

** Tags added: macbook precise

Packages, which is subscribed to xorg in Ubuntu.

  When I plug a second monitor into my macbook air, sometimes ubuntu
  freezes and just displays a single stuck mouse pointer on the new
  monitor and blackness in the background on all screens.

Status in “xorg” package in Ubuntu:

  This is a macbook air with Intel HD Graphics 3000.  I'm running
  Precise Pangolin 64-bit. I haven't installed anything for graphics
  card support.  I'm using Gnome Shell.

  The second monitor works on the login screen.  However, after logging
  in it will immediately freeze with background images hap-hazardly
  repeated across all monitors and nothing else going on.  If I let it
  log in first and then plug in the monitor, the screens both go black
  and a single cursor is visible on the second monitor, but it wont
  move.  In both situations, the only way to escape is to cut the power,
  since nothing is interactive anymore.