Fount it. There is a setting browser.tabs.loadDivertedInBackground in
about:config , just set this to true, and firefox won't steal your focus
any more when loading links in background.

(Thanks to this site http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-stop-
firefox-stealing-window-focus.htm for pointing this out)

However, it won't highlight the window in the window list either, making
it hard to locate the window if you have many desktops.

But maybe, this is enough to point some developer into the right
direction how to fix it properly (or how to explain to us what is going
on behind the scenes, so that it can be fixed properly in the window
manager, if it is the window manager who screws this up)

Packages, which is subscribed to ubufox in Ubuntu.

  Firefox should not steal focus when told by another application to
  open a link

Status in “ubufox” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: firefox-3.0

  I have Kubuntu 8.04, firefox 3.0.1 and Evolution 2.22.3.1

  As very many people, I subscribe to a lot of lists and newssletters.
  These have mostly a title for its news and a link to the whole
  article. When I click on the links, Evolution alwasy goes to firefox
  while opening a tab and I have to switch back with the icon on the
  task bar, as many times as I click on links. Correct should be that I
  can click on all links of interest and then I call firefox's window to
  see what I want.

  Cordially,

  Manfred Mertens

  ProblemType: Bug