** Changed in: openoffice.org (Ubuntu)

  [Upstream] [hardy] 100% CPU and freeze when scrolling inside document
  that has embedded EPS graphics

Status in The OpenOffice.org Suite:
  Confirmed
Status in “libreoffice” package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete
Status in “openoffice.org” package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  Binary package hint: openoffice.org

  Hello,

  I have a document, created with OOo 2.1, edited with OOo 2.2 (after
  upgrading to Feisty) which has four embedded EPS graphics (linked to
  external files).

  Everytime I scroll over these images, Openoffice shows an empty box
  with "Broken image" inside it (translated back from German, maybe
  different wording), then freezes completely for two seconds, while
  refreshing the EPS image. During this time the CPU usage is at 100%. I
  would expect OOo to cache these files (at least the rendered images)
  so they "stay" in the text, like it does with other graphics formats.
  It seems this does not happen.

  "strace" shows that Openoffice is indeed hanging in a "read(...)"
  call, with a file handle that belongs to the linked object (EPS file).
  But I don't understand why it takes two seconds for Openoffice to open
  a 20kb EPS file.

  As you might imagine, this is extremely annoying. I am preparing a
  scientific paper with Openoffice and so far it has been very pleasant
  to work with, almost up to par with LaTeX :-), except for this major
  annoyance.

  I can provide the document in question, but I would ask not to publish
  it in the bugtracker.

  Thank you!

  Jens