http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9385594&postcount=4

may be device 1 is also used for spdif on you x-fi pro,

so you need to define the device of iec958 and you have to send email to
alsa-de...@alsa-project.org about the name "Pro" or "SB X-Fi" or " SB X-Fi
Surround 5.1 Pro"

card 1: Pro [SB X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro], device 1: USB Audio [USB Audio #1]
  Subdevices: 1/1

!-------Mixer controls for card 1 [Pro]

Card hw:1 'Pro'/'Creative Technology Ltd SB X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro at
usb-0000:0b:00.0-1, full sp'
  Mixer name    : 'USB Mixer'
  Components    : 'USB041e:30df'
  Controls      : 1
  Simple ctrls  : 1
Simple mixer control 'Power LED',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined penum
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [on]

# If a device does not use the first PCM device for digital data, the device
# number for the iec958 device can be changed here.
USB-Audio.pcm.iec958_device {
        # "NoiseBlaster 3000" 42
+   "SB X-Fi"     1
+   "Pro" 1

        # The below don't have digital in/out, so prevent them from being
opened.
        "Blue Snowball" 999
        "Logitech Speaker Lapdesk N700" 999
        "Logitech USB Headset" 999
        "Logitech Wireless Headset" 999
        "Plantronics GameCom 780" 999
        "Plantronics USB Headset" 999
        "Plantronics Wireless Audio" 999
        "SB WoW Headset" 999
        "Sennheiser USB headset" 999
        "USB Device 0x46d:0x992" 999
}

Packages, which is subscribed to alsa-driver in Ubuntu.

  [USB-Audio - SB X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro, playback] Underruns, dropouts
  or crackling sound

Status in “alsa-driver” package in Ubuntu:

  The sound is constantly crackling when I'm listening to the music. If
  I listen to last.fm or youtube for instance in my Chromium browser the
  sound is really good. If I try to use Rhythmbox or Banshee first
  couple of songs may be heard fine but then crackling comes. Especially
  crackling starts if I launch Skype. Even if later I turn Skype off
  still the sound remains bad.

  I failed to try to redirect the sound directly to ALSA device
  bypassing PulseAudio server (I didn't find audio settings neither in
  Rhythmbox nor Banshee) so I cannot tell whether the problem depends on
  the server or it lays somewhere below in ALSA subsystem.

  Also I tried to play with default-fragments and default-fragment-size-msec
values in /etc/pulse/daemon.conf but it didn't help. Then having read
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingSoundProblems page I added tsched=0 argument
  load-module module-udev-detect line in /etc/pulse/default.pa. The result was
not successful.

  Package: alsa-base 1.0.25+dfsg-0ubuntu1
  AlsaVersion: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.24.
  Card0.Amixer.info:
   Card hw:0 'PCH'/'HDA Intel PCH at 0xf7b00000 irq 58'
     Mixer name : 'IDT 92HD87B1/3'
     Components : 'HDA:111d76d1,102804b0,00100205'
     Controls      : 16
     Simple ctrls  : 9
  Card1.Amixer.info:
   Card hw:1 'Pro'/'Creative Technology Ltd SB X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro at
usb-0000:0b:00.0-1, full sp'
     Mixer name : 'USB Mixer'
     Components : 'USB041e:30df'
     Controls      : 1
     Simple ctrls  : 1
  Card1.Amixer.values:
   Simple mixer control 'Power LED',0
     Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined penum
     Playback channels: Mono
     Mono: Playback [on]
  Card2.Amixer.info:
   Card hw:2 'NVidia'/'HDA NVidia at 0xf6080000 irq 17'
     Mixer name : 'Nvidia GPU 14 HDMI/DP'
     Components : 'HDA:10de0014,10de0101,00100100'
     Controls      : 24
     Simple ctrls  : 4
  Date: Sun Sep 16 22:46:15 2012
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release amd64
(20120425)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/usr/bin/tcsh
  SourcePackage: alsa-driver
  Symptom: audio
  Symptom_AlsaPlaybackTest: ALSA playback test through plughw:Pro successful
  Symptom_Card: GF108 High Definition Audio Controller - HDA NVidia
  Symptom_PulsePlaybackTest: PulseAudio playback test successful
  Symptom_Type: Underruns, dropouts, or "crackling" sound
  Title: [USB-Audio - SB X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro, playback] Underruns, dropouts
or crackling sound
  dmi.bios.date: 03/22/2012
  dmi.bios.vendor: Dell Inc.
  dmi.bios.version: A10
  dmi.board.name: 0HVRTT
  dmi.board.vendor: Dell Inc.
  dmi.board.version: A10
  dmi.chassis.type: 8
  dmi.chassis.vendor: Dell Inc.
  dmi.chassis.version: Not Specified
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnDellInc.:bvrA10:bd03/22/2012:svnDellInc.:pnInspironN5110:pvrNotSpecified:rvnDellInc.:rn0HVRTT:rvrA10:cvnDellInc.:ct8:cvrNotSpecified:
  dmi.product.name: Inspiron N5110
  dmi.product.version: Not Specified
  dmi.sys.vendor: Dell Inc.