Izidor,

It appears the combination of a large desktop (multiple monitors), the
nvidia driver, and Unity is the problem. Obviously we should only expect
Nvidia or Unity to change.

A relevant fix has been released in Nux 3.10 recently. Please make sure
your libnux packages are at 3.10 or later.

For Nvidia, they claim to have made major leaps in Unity performance with their
v310 beta driver, so please try that too:
  http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-display-amd64-310.14-driver.html
  http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-display-ia32-310.14-driver.html

Finally, please provide details of your installation by running this command:
  apport-collect 1071284

And in future, please report bugs using this command:
  ubuntu-bug unity

** Also affects: nux

** Changed in: nux

** Also affects: nvidia-graphics-drivers (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: nvidia-graphics-drivers (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in Ubuntu.

  Compiz burns at least 8% CPU constantly

Status in Nux:
  Incomplete
Status in Unity:
  Incomplete
Status in “nvidia-graphics-drivers” package in Ubuntu:

  I installed Ubuntu 12.10. Since then compiz burns at least 8% of CPU
  constantly. It makes fans go nonstop and decreases usability of Unity
  because of the noise.

  Sometimes I accidentally trigger another/similar bug and compiz uses
  at least 25% of CPU making the desktop laggy -- processing a keyboard
  event takes too long.

  I can reproduce this problem either using nouveau or nvidia drivers.
  This problem doesn't occur when I use GNOME Shell instead of Unity.

  What information do you need to find the root of the problem?