   fglrx-installer not working with HD2000-4000 "legacy" cards in Quantal

Packages, which is subscribed to fglrx-installer in Ubuntu.

  System failed to detect GPU.

Status in “fglrx-installer” package in Ubuntu:

  Release:      12.10
  upstart:
    Installed: 1.5-0ubuntu9
    Candidate: 1.5-0ubuntu9
    Version table:
   *** 1.5-0ubuntu9 0
          500 http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ quantal/main amd64 Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

  I don't really know if this is an upstart bug, but it seems the
  logical place to start looking.

  I updated my 12.04 LTS system last evening on the basis of the
  announcement on the website.  To my great surprise it is not as good
  as the beta which now seems to be beyond where this verson is.

  The system failed to detect my GPU (ATI/AMD 780) and the DVI monitor
  (1920 x 1080) whereas the beta version most certainly does and handles
  it correctly.  In fact, it reports to applications that there is no
  accelerated 3D graphics at all, which cause my applications to not
  run.

  The normal driver for this chip set is fglrx, and it was not loaded by
  the upgrade (nor by the beta, but that didn't seem to matter).  I
  forced an install of fglrx which seemed to go OK, but the AMD/ATI
  control software does not detect it as installed.  Furthermore,
  although it appeared that the software did in fact generate the
  appropirate kernel image for this, nothing happens.  The system is
  running in the default display for a laptop (which is utterly beyond
  belief) but this is a desktop machine.

  I performed the upgrade in the usual manner by using the command for
  the software manager with the -d option and everything went OK for the
  next couple of hours.  The system restarted, but the Ubuntu desktop
  failed partially, and there was no launcher and no top of screen
  panel.  All I could do was force a restart.  I wound up in the GNOME
  classic desktop which works normally.  Not my choice, but there you
  are.

  This distrubution is not ready for people in spite of the exuberance
  of the web site.  For shame!  My beta version runs better than this.

  During the installation there were a couple of defective libraries
  reported and I was able, eventually, to install them with apt.  There
  was also a continuous reiteration of some message about duplicate
  values in some test file, which hardly seems to be proper for a final
  distribution.  There is a plethora of problems, and I hope this is the
  only report I need make.  I strongly suggest that somebody test this
  again.  You have now created a panic for yourselves with this
  premature, untested release.  Perhaps a public apology will absolve
  some of this, but I think you've set back your marketing efforts
  considerably.

  As of now, I am moving all my data files over to the beta partition.
  It is far superior to this box of bugs.

  Package: upstart 1.5-0ubuntu9