Joel, regarding the Alt-Tab thing, it's reported in:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity-2d/+bug/963125

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-settings-daemon in Ubuntu.

  gnome-settings-daemon dconf to gconf plugin causes settings to be lost

Status in “gnome-settings-daemon” package in Ubuntu:

  This was tested in a fresh installed precise machine, with the
  addition of dconf and a particular dconf configuration.

  Settings set in gconf backend get overwritten when running 'dconf
  update'.  This can be tested by changing any value in gconf to
  something different than the default:

  $ gconftool --set /desktop/gnome/sound/event_sounds --type bool false
  $ gconftool --get /desktop/gnome/sound/event_sounds
  false
  $ gconftool --set /apps/metacity/general/focus_mode --type string sloppy
  $ gconftool --get /apps/metacity/general/focus_mode
  sloppy

  Then editing some file under /etc/dconf and running dconf update:

  $ sudo vi /etc/dconf/db/site.d/screensaver
  $ sudo dconf update
  $ gconftool --get /desktop/gnome/sound/event_sounds
  true
  $ gconftool --get /apps/metacity/general/focus_mode
  click

  After talking about this with Ryan Lortie, he suggested disabling the
  gnome-settings-daemon plugin:

  $ gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.gconf active false
  $ gconftool --set /desktop/gnome/sound/event_sounds --type bool false
  $ gconftool --set /apps/metacity/general/focus_mode --type string sloppy

  $ sudo vi /etc/dconf/db/site.d/screensaver
  $ sudo dconf update
  $ gconftool --get /desktop/gnome/sound/event_sounds
  false
  $ gconftool --get /apps/metacity/general/focus_mode
  sloppy

  It looks like the gconf plugin is overwriting all the settings with
  the defaults, thus losing anything the user had customized.  It's
  quite likely that a number of other bugs "Compiz loses my settings"
  are actually caused by this plugin.

  Also, as instructed by Ryan, I tried removing
  /usr/share/GConf/gsettings/wm-schemas.convert and re-enabling the
  plugin, and then it doesn't override any values that are related to
  the window manager but it does override the one in the example:

  $ gsettings reset org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.gconf active
  $ gsettings get org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.gconf active
  true
  $ gconftool --set /desktop/gnome/sound/event_sounds --type bool false
  $ gconftool --set /apps/metacity/general/focus_mode --type string sloppy

  $ sudo vi /etc/dconf/db/site.d/screensaver
  $ sudo dconf update
  $ gconftool --get /desktop/gnome/sound/event_sounds
  true
  $ gconftool --get /apps/metacity/general/focus_mode
  sloppy

  So, focus_mode didn't get overwritten while event_sounds did.

  One possible solution is to remove the wm-schemas so that compiz
  settings don't get lost.  A better (but probably harder) solution
  would be to fix the plugin so that it doesn't overwrite what the user
  sets.  Maybe just remove the schemas that are being modified and
  stored in gconf for Precise.

  I found out that to reproduce in a fresh installed precise machine, I
  had to set up some dconf files, then reboot, and then I could
  reproduce consistently as explained here.  I'm attaching a bunch of
  dconf files.  After unpacking, you need to run dconf update once to
  generate the db and then reboot.  After that it should be
  reproducible.