This looks like the same problem I have, so instead of filing a new bug,
I'll go under this one.

Ubuntu 12.10 with gnome-shell here.
In the screenshot attached, the notification area with Hydroxygen the icon
theme I'm currently using. Transmission is the red X and shouldn't.

Almost every theme but ubuntu-mono-light and dark seems to fail at
finding the icon for the notification area, but there is one in  the
theme folder in usr/share/icons.

I searched a way to see if i can point the icon to the theme, the
system, or Transmission, but couldn't find any. Is there?

** Attachment added: "Notification area.png"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/transmission/+bug/574862/+attachment/3418188/+files/Notification%20area.png

Packages, which is subscribed to transmission in Ubuntu.

  Normal tray icon not displayed if indicator-applet not used

Status in “transmission” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: transmission

  Ubuntu 10.04 LTS x86_64
  Transmission 1.92 (10363)

  I don't like indicator-applet and disable it. Then in settings.json
  add that changes:

  "show-notification-area-icon": 0,
  "show-tray-icon": 1,

  but after this, when run Transmission - it not displayed in tray.
  how back normal tray icon for transmission, which used in Ubuntu 9.10?

  Sorry for my English.