Public bug reported:

our default video player, totem 3.4 doesn't accelarate videos when VAAPI
is installed.

libgstreamer-vaapi works with totem 3.6 and clutter.

In ubuntu quantal an mp4 HD movie make my sandybridge i3 proc go as high
as the 60%, and my battery isn't sufficient to even finish a movie.

Thinking about one of the goals in raring ringtail will be battery life,
how will you deal with this?

anyway, I'd like to see this bug solved already in quantal.

http://gstreamer-devel.966125.n4.nabble.com/Gstreamer-VAAPI-and-Totem-
td4655188.html

** Affects: totem (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to totem in Ubuntu.

  totem doesn't work with VAAPI

Status in “totem” package in Ubuntu: