@Marcel, I think I've noticed the same. I copied the system's xfce-
applications.menu (either from /etc/xdg/menus/xfce-applications.menu or
/etc/xdg/xdg-xubuntu/menus/xfce-applications.menu, I don't remember
which) to my ~/.config/menus folder, and have been editing that file by
hand. In the "Applications Menu" dialog that pops up when you right
click the menu and choose properties, I have the custom menu file option
selected, and I have it set to ~/.config/menus/xfce-applications.menu

Packages, which is subscribed to alacarte in Ubuntu.

  Unable to edit or add items to main menu

Status in “alacarte” package in Ubuntu:

  On a fresh install of XUbuntu 64bit I am unable to add items to the
  main menu.  All the buttons seem to work but when you hit "New Item"
  or "New Menu", type in your settins and click "create" nothing
  happens.

  Also attempted to disable some menu items and while the menu editor
  shows the changes there are no changes to the actual menu, even after
  restarting X.

  Let me know if you need anything else,
  Westin Shafer

  Package: xubuntu-default-settings 12.10.7
  Date: Sat Oct 20 15:42:51 2012
  InstallationMedia: Xubuntu 12.10 "Quantal Quetzal" - Release amd64
(20121017.1)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  SourcePackage: xubuntu-default-settings