May be we have to find different solutions for each affected button /
icon / selector?

I reduce this bug to 1 icon from original report

@Michèle Garoche
Can you please submit separate bugs for each separate problem and list these
bugs in "Bug 56602 - [Task]: Make toolbar icon function available for vertical
toolbar arrangement"? I hope so we can get start fixing these problems a little
quicker.

  Arrows missing in LibreOffice such that sub-menu can't be shown

Status in LibreOffice Productivity Suite:
  Confirmed
Status in “libreoffice” package in Ubuntu:

  In LibreOffice Writer, when a toolbar is docked, icons on the toolbar that
can't be shown due to limited space are grouped to be shown in a vertical menu
triggered by pressing the "more button" (the button with ">>" on it). The bug
is that these icons that have sub-menu(e.g. a color palette) shown in a
vertical menu don't have arrows beside them to trigger their respective
sub-menu. However, it is expected that icons that have sub-menu should have
arrows beside them even if they are grouped in a vertical menu.
  Example:
  On "Formatting" menu, the "Highlighting" button should have an arrow beside
it such that a color palette can be shown after pressing the arrow for users to
choose the highlighting color. However, when this button is grouped in a
vertical menu triggered by pressing the "more button", the arrow is gone. As a
result, users can't choose the highlighting color. Instead, users have to make
the toolbar not docked such that the arrow appears again.
  Screenshots:
  Arrow missing when toolbar is docked: http://imgur.com/2Vp8n,FK1wI
  Arrow not missing when toolbar is not docked:http://imgur.com/2Vp8n,FK1wI#1
  What I expect after the problem is resolved: http://imgur.com/YtoD0
  The same is for "Background Color" button.
  I think apart from LIbreOffice Writer, LibreOffice Impress, LibreOffice Calc,
etc also have this problem.
  Screenshots of the problem in LibreOffice Impress:
  Arrow missing when toolbar is docked: http://imgur.com/Moh1v,oQoRx#0
  Arrow not missing when toolbar is not docked: http://imgur.com/Moh1v,oQoRx#1
  My information:
  Release of Ubuntu using: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
  Version of the package "libreoffice-writer": 1:3.5.4-0ubuntu1
  I am sorry if the information provided is not clear or complete as this is my
first time to report a bug in Ubuntu. I will be very happy to provide
additional information if needed.
  Thanks for your help.