Bug affects Oneiric, Precise and now Quantal. I do not remember Natty.
Canonincal needs to patch xorg once and for all. It's a simple solution and we
are more than 1 year and 3 dists (Oneiric, Precise and Quantal) suffering this
bug.

ppa:mdeslaur/testing has no xorg for Quantal.

Packages, which is subscribed to xorg-server in Ubuntu.

  xrandr --scale restricts area in which mouse moves

Status in X.Org X server:
  Confirmed
Status in “xorg-server” package in Ubuntu:

  in kubuntu (and ubuntu) 11.04 i used to enlarge my laptop screen like
  so

  xrandr --output LVDS1 --scale 1.2x1.2

  this worked fine: the desktop scaled to larger size correctly .
   After upgrading to 11.10, in kde the desktop still resizes
  correctly, but the movement of the mouse is restricted to an area equal to
  the screen size *before* issuing the scaling command. .. Ie let's say
  the mode is 1366x768 and I do xrandr --output LVDS1 --scale 1.2x1.2 the
  screen size changes to 1640x922 but the mouse moves in an area the size of
  1366x768 in the top left of the screen and then 'hits a wall' preventing
  it to move. I also tried ubuntu 11.10 with gnome: here the screen also
  resizes, but I have the same issue with the mouse, and the extended area
  of the desktop is black...

  Some time ago there was a similar issue, which was resolved later. Now it
seems
  to be back...

  jos@samsungsucks:~$ lsb_release -rd
  Release:        11.10