This two-sided printing problem is not cups related since I have no
problem printing 2 pages / sheet on one of my pc.

Packages, which is subscribed to cups in Ubuntu.

  two-sided printing not working on my pc, no problem on another one.

Status in “cups” package in Ubuntu:

  I am trying to print a pdf file, 2 pages per sheet (two-sided
  printing).

  After opening the Print dialog, I go in tab "Page Setup", then select
  "Long Edge (standard)" for option "Two-sided" but I always get 1 page
  printed per sheet. Same problem with ps and dvi files.

  On another pc, I do the same but this time I get 2 pages per sheet
  (which I want).

  Also, my home directory is located on a server and exported to those 2 pcs
(nfs mounted). So that printing problem is not related to some config file in
my home directory.
  And I use only one printer (cups driven).

  Regards,
  F.

  Package: evince 3.6.0-0ubuntu2
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  Date: Thu Nov  8 13:12:54 2012
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release amd64
(20120822.4)
  MarkForUpload: True
  SourcePackage: evince
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to quantal on 2012-10-24 (15 days ago)