This also occurs for me in 12.10.

Packages, which is subscribed to gtk+2.0 in Ubuntu.

  Conky background uses gtk_color_scheme's window background color, at
  random

Status in GTK+ GUI Toolkit:
  Fix Released
Status in “conky” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “gtk+2.0” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: conky

  In Karmic the background of the conky turns grey[random] , this does not
happen when i dual boot into Jaunty and use the same .conkyrc
  I ran conky from terminal ,but there is no error when this happens.

  It returns to normal transparent background,at random or when i either
  restart it , or when if_mounted triggers a refresh of the conky size.

  I'v attached the screenshot of the greying of the background.

  Also, the same behavior is noticed when desktop effects are turned
  OFF.

  All other essential info are in Bug #405188.