Same problem as well. The problem started after switching to a SSD disk
instead of an old normal disk. In most cases I got a printout"Scanning
for btrfs filesystems" after which the "booting stopped".

Adding the sleep line mentioned in earlier posts solved the issue for
me. Prior to that I worked around the issue by doing "ctrl+alt+f1",
logging in and manually running "sudo lightdm".

Packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  lightdm doesn't load correctly on Ubuntu 12.10

Status in “lightdm” package in Ubuntu:

  Ubuntu 12.10 doesn't load correctly because lightdm shows only a mouse
pointer and a blinking command-line cursor.
  I don't know if this is only Ubuntu 12.10 specific bug, because a similar
error appeared on my friend's computer back in 2011 on Ubuntu 11.10. However,
switching to a command line and restarting lightdm solves the problem per
instance. Also rebooting the device solves it, but also only for the specific
boot. Another reboot ends with the same "black screen with a working mouse
pointer and a blinking cursor".

  I am using Asus Zenbook ux32vd (Intel HD Graphics 4000 + not used
  Nvidia GT620M - Optimus technology).