>From my ~/.xsession-errors, the recurring bit after toggling the
enabled/disabled state in vino-preferences

      x-session-manager[3755]: WARNING: Not able to stop app from its
condition: Not running

      ** (vino-server:7592): WARNING **: The desktop sharing service is
not enabled, so it should not be run.

** Changed in: vino (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to vino in Ubuntu.

  VNC Server is not Started

Status in “vino” package in Ubuntu:

  Other similar bugs have been reported previously bug have been marked
  as fixed. This has been replicated on two machines that were upgraded
  from 11.10, I've not tried a fresh install.

  Desktop Sharing Preferences shows up ok, but ticking "Allow other
  users to view your desktop" does nothing, and selecting "Show
  Notification Area Icon" - "Always" doesn't show the icon.

  It appears that vino-server is not started.

  Entering "vino-server" into a terminal gives "command not found".
  Entering "/usr/lib/vino/vino-server" starts the server, provided the
  "Allow..." box is ticked. The second you untick that box the server
  exits with "The desktop sharing service has been disabled, exiting.".
  If you try to run vino-server without enabling sharing it exits
  immediately with "The desktop sharing service is not enabled, so it
  should not be run.".

  Also, the IP address information from previous versions of Ubuntu
  appears to have gone missing - not sure if this is related - it
  affects another machine I've got running 11.10.

  Essentially, I can't support a remote user because I can't talk them
  through getting this up-and-running without opening a terminal which
  is way beyond them. I'm sure it used to work in previous versions.

  Package: vino 3.4.2-0ubuntu1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.2.16-030216.201205181923-generic 3.2.16
  CheckboxSubmission: 8f42c7155b3e5262cfd0edb5c0c42bb1
  CheckboxSystem: edda5d4f616ca792bf437989cb597002
  Date: Thu Jun  7 19:25:30 2012
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS "Lucid Lynx" - Release amd64 (20100429)
  ProcEnviron:
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: vino
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to precise on 2012-05-05 (33 days ago)