Public bug reported:

libavformat-dev depends on libavformat53 and doesn't list libavformat-
extra-53 as an alternative. This makes it impossible to install
libavformat-extra-53 and libavformat-dev at the same time. This wasn't a
problem in 12.04.

To see what I mean, just look at the difference between the dependencies for
12.04 and 12.10:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/libavformat-dev
http://packages.ubuntu.com/quantal/libavformat-dev

** Affects: libav (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to libav in Ubuntu.

  libavformat-dev broken dependencies, incompatible with libavformat-
  extra-53

Status in “libav” package in Ubuntu: