Comment #21 fixed the issue for me. Bug does also apply to current 12.10
release (upgrade: 16/11/2012).

  No resolving after upgrade from Ubuntu-Secure-12.04 to 12.10 beta

Status in Ubuntu-Secure-Remix:
  Fix Committed
Status in “network-manager” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  I'm assuming (based on the prefix of /var/run/nm-dns-dnsmasq.conf)
  that this is a network-manager issue, though I'm not certain.

  I recently upgraded to Ubuntu 12.10 Beta 1 from a more-or-less stock
  installation of Ubuntu 12.04 (it had only been installed for about 3-4
  hours before the upgrade). This means that I am now using network-
  manager 0.9.6.0-0ubuntu7. On startup, network-manager connects to my
  router without any issues, but I am then unable to resolve any domain
  names (beyond localhost); I can't browse to any websites, ping any
  servers using their domain names, etc. There were no problems doing
  any of this while using 12.04, and I did not do anything other than
  perform the upgrade to 12.10 Beta 1 before this happened, so what I
  was expecting to happen was that I would continue to be able to use
  DNS as usual.

  On poking around a bit, I discovered that dnsmasq is running as it
  should be (listening on 127.0.1.1) but that the config file that it is
  trying to use, /var/run/nm-dns-dnsmasq.conf, is completely empty. This
  appears to be the source ofthe problem, as I can fix the issue by
  doing the following:

  1) Kill the /usr/sbin/dnsmasq process that is automatically started (by
network-manager?).
  2) Manually create /var/run/nm-dns-dnsmasq.conf and add lines such as the
following (this line identifies an OpenDNS server):

      server=208.67.222.222

  3) Manually start the /usr/sbin/dnsmasq using exactly the same options
  that were passed to it when it was started automatically.

  So, I'm guessing this file should be non-empty. (Another workaround,
  by the way, is to manually create an /etc/resolv.conf file with
  appropriate nameserver lines and then restart the networking service,
  but AFAIK that solution simply bypasses dnsmasq entirely.)

  Package: network-manager 0.9.6.0-0ubuntu7
  Date: Sat Sep 15 13:02:05 2012
  IfupdownConfig:
   auto lo
   iface lo inet loopback
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release amd64
(20120823.1)
  IpRoute:
   default via 192.168.1.1 dev wlan0  proto static
   169.254.0.0/16 dev wlan0  scope link  metric 1000
   192.168.1.0/24 dev wlan0  proto kernel  scope link  src 192.168.1.21  metric
9
  NetworkManager.state:
   [main]
   NetworkingEnabled=true
   WirelessEnabled=true
   WWANEnabled=true
   WimaxEnabled=true
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: network-manager
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to quantal on 2012-09-15 (0 days ago)
  nmcli-con:
   NAME                      UUID                                   TYPE
      TIMESTAMP    TIMESTAMP-REAL                     AUTOCONNECT   READONLY
DBUS-PATH
   Wired connection 1        500ef8b0-f9cf-48f6-9409-aabea4121a84
802-3-ethernet    1347727737   Sat 15 Sep 2012 12:48:57 PM EDT    yes
no         /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Settings/1
   NotThat!                  968fa0a6-be87-47bb-b306-daf2188393e9
802-11-wireless   1347728337   Sat 15 Sep 2012 12:58:57 PM EDT    yes
no         /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Settings/0
  nmcli-dev:
   DEVICE     TYPE              STATE         DBUS-PATH

   eth0       802-3-ethernet    unavailable
/org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Devices/1
   wlan0      802-11-wireless   connected
/org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Devices/0
  nmcli-nm:
   RUNNING         VERSION    STATE           NET-ENABLED   WIFI-HARDWARE
WIFI       WWAN-HARDWARE   WWAN
   running         0.9.6.0    connected       enabled       enabled
enabled    enabled         disabled