> It probably thinks those text files are subtitles but then
checks/handles them incorrectly...

Possibly, but it shouldn't read subtitles at all without already running
a media file, but rather just skip them. :)

Packages, which is subscribed to totem in Ubuntu.

  GstDecodeBin2: This appears to be a text file

Status in Totem Movie Player:
  New
Status in “totem” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: totem

  I often play music albums by opening the directory they are in in
  Totem, I even have that set as an open-with action. Yes, there is
  Rhythmbox, but I do play albums this way over SSH from servers etc, as
  well as I like this way of playing music now. :)

  If there is an unknown text file in the same directory, it gets added
  to the playlist anyway, AND totem will stop playback on this file with
  the error "GstDecodeBin2: This appears to be a text file". Highly
  annoying when you have to get up and go to the computer just to click
  the warning away and delete this entry from the playlist manually.

  Images, for instance, gets ignored and are not added in this way.

  I propose that either:

  1. Unknown text files should not be added to the playlist, or, if that's hard
to do:
  2. Such files should just be silently skipped when playing

  $ lsb_release -rd
  Release:      10.04

  $ aptitude show totem
  Package: totem