Public bug reported:

When I double click on an email in Thunderbird, Thunderbird (correctly)
puts a copy of that email in a new tab.

But when I delete the new tab, Thunderbird greys; it makes extensive use
of the hard disk, causing a large whirling sound, for two or three
minutes, before Thunderbird returns to normal (not greyed out).

As a result, my Thunderbird is very difficult to use, and is putting far
too much demand on the computer.

In fact, just single clicking on an email (to read it) often causes Thunderbird
to grey, and to whirl the hard disk, for
a minute.

Something must be wrong with my Thunderbird.

I've tried;

sudo apt-get install --reinstall Thunderbird -- this did not help.

Help much appreciated.

  -- Saul

The Ubuntu/Thunderbird problem described above is caused by a bug in
Ubuntu Glib.

  -- Saul

** Affects: thunderbird (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to thunderbird in Ubuntu.

  The Glib library has bugs that affect Thunderbird

Status in “thunderbird” package in Ubuntu: