Public bug reported:

When no swap is active, the 'hibernate' item does not show up in the
/system/ menu.

I manually verified that hibernation works on my machine (using pm-
hibernate), and it does.

As I am using an SSD, I do not use any swap at all (I have enough RAM).

However, I have an inactive swap partition that gets activated by a pm hook:
> cat /etc/pm/sleep.d/00-swap
> #!/bin/sh
> 
> swap_device="$( awk '$0 ~ /^#/ { next; }
>                      $3=="swap" {
>                     printf( "%s\n", $1 );
>                 }' /etc/fstab )"
> 
> case "${1}" in
>     hibernate)
>         # Create and activate a clean swap
>         mkswap "${swap_device}"  
>         swapon "${swap_device}"
>         ;;
>     thaw)
>         swapoff "${swap_device}"
>         # Forget the old SWSUSP image after resuming
>         dd if=/dev/zero of="${swap_device}" bs=1048576 count=4
>         ;;
> esac

Note: I need to cleanup the previous SWSUSP image, so the kernel does
not pick it up after a normal, non-hibernate boot.

If I manually activate the swap partition, then 'hibernate' shows up in
the system menu. If the swap partition is not active, but only
formatted, hibernate is not available; the swap has to be active.

It somehow makes sense to disable hibernate if there is no swap, but
using swap on an SSD risks wearing out the SSD very fast.

ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 12.10
Package: policykit-1 0.104-2ubuntu1
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.5.0-18.29-generic 3.5.7
Uname: Linux 3.5.0-18-generic i686
ApportVersion: 2.6.1-0ubuntu6
Architecture: i386
Date: Sun Nov 25 16:18:49 2012
InstallationDate: Installed on 2012-04-26 (212 days ago)
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release i386 (20120423)
MarkForUpload: True
ProcEnviron:
 SHELL=/bin/bash
 TERM=xterm
 PATH=(custom, no user)
 LANG=en_US.UTF-8
 XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
SourcePackage: policykit-1
UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to quantal on 2012-11-24 (0 days ago)

** Affects: policykit-1 (Ubuntu)
     Importance: Undecided
         Status: New


** Tags: apport-bug i386 quantal running-unity

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Desktop
Packages, which is subscribed to policykit-1 in Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1082906

Title:
  hibernate item does not show up in menu when no swap active

Status in “policykit-1” package in Ubuntu:
  New

Bug description:
  When no swap is active, the 'hibernate' item does not show up in the
  /system/ menu.

  I manually verified that hibernation works on my machine (using pm-
  hibernate), and it does.

  As I am using an SSD, I do not use any swap at all (I have enough
  RAM).

  However, I have an inactive swap partition that gets activated by a pm hook:
  > cat /etc/pm/sleep.d/00-swap
  > #!/bin/sh
  > 
  > swap_device="$( awk '$0 ~ /^#/ { next; }
  >                      $3=="swap" {
  >                     printf( "%s\n", $1 );
  >                 }' /etc/fstab )"
  > 
  > case "${1}" in
  >     hibernate)
  >         # Create and activate a clean swap
  >         mkswap "${swap_device}"  
  >         swapon "${swap_device}"
  >         ;;
  >     thaw)
  >         swapoff "${swap_device}"
  >         # Forget the old SWSUSP image after resuming
  >         dd if=/dev/zero of="${swap_device}" bs=1048576 count=4
  >         ;;
  > esac

  Note: I need to cleanup the previous SWSUSP image, so the kernel does
  not pick it up after a normal, non-hibernate boot.

  If I manually activate the swap partition, then 'hibernate' shows up
  in the system menu. If the swap partition is not active, but only
  formatted, hibernate is not available; the swap has to be active.

  It somehow makes sense to disable hibernate if there is no swap, but
  using swap on an SSD risks wearing out the SSD very fast.

  ProblemType: Bug
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 12.10
  Package: policykit-1 0.104-2ubuntu1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.5.0-18.29-generic 3.5.7
  Uname: Linux 3.5.0-18-generic i686
  ApportVersion: 2.6.1-0ubuntu6
  Architecture: i386
  Date: Sun Nov 25 16:18:49 2012
  InstallationDate: Installed on 2012-04-26 (212 days ago)
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release i386 
(20120423)
  MarkForUpload: True
  ProcEnviron:
   SHELL=/bin/bash
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
  SourcePackage: policykit-1
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to quantal on 2012-11-24 (0 days ago)

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/policykit-1/+bug/1082906/+subscriptions

-- 
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
Post to     : [email protected]
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

Reply via email to