Recently upgraded from 10.04 LTS, mainly to get the new Libre Office -- 2
steps, to 12.04 LTS, then to 12.10. 10.04 had been very stable - I would
suspend/revive at least once/day for months without needing a reboot. I have
come to strongly dislike the Dash, partly because it seems harder to use than
the Gnome hierarchical menu, but mostly because it seems to be the cause of
multiple system crashes. Here are some examples:
- I added the System Monitor indicator to the top bar, after which the Dash
would frequently show bits of the system load graph instead of icons.  Close
the Dash, open again, looks OK usually. On two occasions, opening the dash
resulted in bits of the system load graph filling both monitors, freezing the
system. Once I was able to get control by switching to a term (ctl-alt-F1), but
the other time I had to power down to get control back. I no longer use the
system monitor indicator.
- I have had two other freeze-ups precipitated by poking the Dash icon, when
the System Monitor was not active. In both cases, there was no mouse or
keyboard control, had to power down. Once the screen went black, the other time
it went to random bits of various windows floating around.

** Affects: unity (Ubuntu)

Unity Dash stability problems
Packages, which is subscribed to unity in Ubuntu.