Got it after upgrading to Linux Mint 14 Nadia (based on Ubuntu 12.10
Quantal Quetzal).

After executing "sudo apt-get install --reinstall printer-driver-
gutenprint" and reconfiguring my printer now I get "stopped, Filter
failed" upon every one of my print attempts.  Currently I cannot print.

Please mark this bug at least of High importance as it completely breaks
printing upon system upgrades.  This is exactly the kind of bug that
drives newcomer Linux users away for life (and rightly so).

Packages, which is subscribed to cups in Ubuntu.

  Update of a printer driver package does not update the PPD files of
  the existing queues for this driver

Status in “cups” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “gutenprint” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in “cups” source package in Precise:
  Invalid
Status in “gutenprint” source package in Precise:
  Fix Released
Status in “cups” source package in Quantal:
  Fix Released
Status in “gutenprint” source package in Quantal:

  I needed to print few tickets for travel. But as they did not appeared
  on my printer I took a look at http://localhost:631/ and discovered
  this:

  "The PPD version (5.2.7) is not compatible with Gutenprint
  5.2.8-pre1."

  Had to print to PDF and do printing from MS Windows laptop...

  [Impact] Printers used with Gutenprint do not work for all users who
  update from an older Ubuntu version to Precise.

  [Test Case] To reproduce: Upgrade from Gutenprint 5.2.7 to
  5.2.8~pre1-0ubuntu2 does not update the PPD files of existing queues.
  To test, create a Gutenprint-based print queue on a system with 5.2.7
  then run

  grep -i gutenprint /etc/cups/ppd/*.ppd

  and see that the PPD files are of Gutenprint version 5.2.7. Update to
  5.2.8~pre1-0ubuntu2 and run

  grep -i gutenprint /etc/cups/ppd/*.ppd

  The PPDs are still not upgraded. Update from 5.2.7 or
  5.2.8~pre1-0ubuntu2 to 5.2.8~pre1-0ubuntu2.1 and your PPD files get
  updated to 5.2.8pre1.

  [Regression Potential] Only change is the timestamp of one file. So
  regressions should not be possible.