@andyrock;  thanks for sending the screenshot over.  I agree with your
comment that this approach does not look good, so we should stop work on
this bug.  I think we will need to step back and take another look at
ways we can solve the problem of 'how do we get most running apps
prioritised at the top of the launcher", I'll add this to the todo list
for the 13.10 cycle.

Changing bug status to invalid.

** Changed in: ayatana-design

** Changed in: unity

** Changed in: unity (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: ayatana-design
     Assignee: John Lea (johnlea) => (unassigned)

** Changed in: ayatana-design

** Changed in: unity (Ubuntu)

** Tags removed: udp

** Changed in: unity

Packages, which is subscribed to unity in Ubuntu.

  Launcher - Improve accordion effect behavior by prioritizing running
  applications

Status in Ayatana Design:
  Invalid
Status in Unity:
  Invalid
Status in “unity” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  I have a bit of apps locked into my Unity panel. While I use all of
  them pretty often, I don't use them all at the same time. Also, there
  are many apps that I use that don't really make sense being locked in
  the panel, for example gedit, eye of gnome, totem.

  All those locked apps waste precious space from the panel while
  they're not really needed (unless you plan launching them), while the
  applications actually running (and not locked) usually get stacked at
  the bottom of the panel thanks to Unity's accordion effect.

  It would be great if Unity would prioritize running apps and show
  their icons properly if possible while stacking the locked apps that
  are closed by using the accordion effect.

  This behavior tweak would improve task management and make it easier
  to see what apps are running, which makes more sense than displaying
  better which apps you could run.

  dA link http://dreadknight666.deviantart.com/#/d4wz0fo
  G+ link https://plus.google.com/115419509885426640110/posts/HPWAUWiAT6V

  ------------------------------
  Desired solution

  Note: this change will need to be user tested *before landing in
  Ubuntu*

  - Keep all running application icons unfolded as long as possible,
  folding non-running application icons that are in-between the running
  applications.

  e.g. change the fold state of the Launcher icons from

  1. Running app     [flat]
  2. Not running app [flat]
  3. Not running app [flat]
  4. Not running app [flat]