> > > @Markus Mohrhard:
> > > I'd love to whenever the update is downstreamed into Ubuntu repositories.
> > >
> > > Q: How can such a regression happen? Any ideas or explanations?
> >
> > Calc has about 1 million lines of own source code + several more million
> > lines of shared source code. And how much time did you spend yourself
> > testing master to check for regressions.
> >
> > Marking as fixed as I think it is fixed in 3.6.4.1 and therefore in the
> > 3.6.4 release. Reopen if it is not fixed there.
>
> First I am pretty sure that not all of the 1 million lines deal with
> sorting. Second, in my development projects we used test suites to prevent
> from regression and third there are statistical methods to identify areas of
> unstable code based on previous bug reports.

We have highly coupled code with to less test code. Sadly our code is so
old and written by so many people that even simple tasks like sorting
affect more places than it should. For example sorting is highly
integrated into calc core in ScTable so that a change to fix another bug
can introduce a new one in parts that nobody expects.

We are writing new tests for fixed bugs but since we are mainly only
three developers doing all the work on calc this means that there are
thousand of untested cases. However we are always happy if someone helps
us out with extending the test cases which is actually not that
difficult.

> Assuming that all this is in place here as well, I was wondering what could
> be the cause of those regressions. If you had an idea I could direct some
> research effort into how this can be improved. Maybe we can discuss this on
> a different channel (mail?)

We were removing some limitations for sorting in 3.6 and therefore had
to change some internal data structure and change the UI code. This was
done by a volunteer and sadly not enough tests were written at the time.
I would be very glad if you would be intersted in helping with that.

  [Upstream] Calc mis-sorts left to right (sort columns)

Status in LibreOffice Productivity Suite:
  Confirmed
Status in “libreoffice” package in Ubuntu:

  1) lsb_release -rd
  Release:      12.10

  2) apt-cache policy libreoffice-calc
  libreoffice-calc:
    Installed: 1:3.6.2~rc2-0ubuntu4
    Candidate: 1:3.6.2~rc2-0ubuntu4
    Version table:
   *** 1:3.6.2~rc2-0ubuntu4 0
          900 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ quantal-updates/main i386
Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
       1:3.6.2~rc2-0ubuntu3 0
          500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ quantal/main i386 Packages

  3) What is expected to happen in Calc via a terminal:
  cd ~/Desktop && wget
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libreoffice/+bug/1082449/+attachment/3442313/+files/test.xls
 && localc --nologo test.xls

  highlight columns B through G -> Data -> Sort... -> Options tab under
  Direction click radio button Let to right (sort columns) -> uncheck
  checkbox Range contains row labels -> tab Sort Criteria -> drop down
  Sort key 1 click Row 1 -> radio buton Ascending -> button OK and the
  order is sorted as noted in the file Expected.

  4) What happens instead is it sorts as noted in the file Result.

  + Same problem reproducible in:
  Microsoft Windows Vista Business x86
  6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002
  Version 3.6.3.2 (Build ID: 58f22d5)

  but issue has WORKAROUND if you run sort twice consecutively.

  WORKAROUND: Use Gnumeric.

  apt-cache policy gnumeric
  gnumeric:
    Installed: 1.10.17-1.1ubuntu1
    Candidate: 1.10.17-1.1ubuntu1
    Version table:
   *** 1.10.17-1.1ubuntu1 0
          500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ quantal/universe i386 Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

  WORKAROUND: Use Excel via WINE.
  Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 Excel Version 14.0.6023.1000 (32-bit)

  apt-cache policy wine1.5
  wine1.5:
    Installed: 1.5.17-0ubuntu4
    Candidate: 1.5.17-0ubuntu4
    Version table:
   *** 1.5.17-0ubuntu4 0
          500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-wine/ppa/ubuntu/ quantal/main
i386 Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

  Package: libreoffice-calc 1:3.6.2~rc2-0ubuntu4
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia wl
  Date: Fri Nov 23 17:47:55 2012
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 11.10 "Oneiric Ocelot" - Release amd64+mac
(20111012)
  MarkForUpload: True
  SourcePackage: libreoffice
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to quantal on 2012-10-19 (34 days ago)