C'mmon guys, fix this annoying bug that has plagued us since 11.10.  Despite
all the rants that 'you can work around it'
I personnaly think printing should be tested at least under the most commonly
used desktops.

  The printing panel shouldn't display errors about firewalld not
  running

Status in elementary OS:
  New
Status in GNOME Control Center:
  Confirmed
Status in “gnome-control-center” package in Ubuntu:

  WORKAROUND: As an alternative to the printer configuration tool from
  the new Gnome Shell control center, you can still use system-config-
  printer. To open it, just press Alt+F2, type system-config-printer and
  press Enter.

  It appears a patch was added to Gnome back in July that requires FirewallD to
be running in order to add a network printer.
  see: http://mail.gnome.org/archives/commits-list/2011-July/msg09761.html

  This only appears to affect those using the Gnome 3 desktop environment, and
this problem is not present in Unity, so you can still add the pinter in
Unity's control panel, but users wanting to use Gnome will encounter this. The
specific error message is:
   "FirewallD is not running. Network printer detection needs services mdns,
ipp, ipp-client and samba-client enabled on firewall."

  The documentation in the mentioned patch suggests this behavior is
  actually intentional. However, FirewallD is, as far as I know,
  specific to Fedora.

  1) release: Ubuntu Oneiric Beta 2 (64 bit, but others likely to be
  affected)

  2) issue is more specific to the Gnome 3 desktop environment as a
  whole, although there may be individual packages that can be patched
  to circumvent this behavior

  3) I expected the previous behavior of being able to add a network
  printer without having a package that does not even exist for Ubuntu

  4) I got this nice error message that tells me "FirewallD is not
  running. Network printer detection needs services mdns, ipp, ipp-
  client and samba-client enabled on firewall."

  As far as a solution goes, a documented work-around may be a good idea
  (such as an FAQ entry that says simply to install the network printer
  in Unity), at least until a more permanent solution can be found.

  This is bug was originally asked as a question here:
  https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-
  nettool/+question/173836 but it was suggested that a bug report be
  submitted instead.

  Package: gnome-control-center 1:3.2.0-0ubuntu6
  NonfreeKernelModules: fglrx
  ApportVersion: 1.23-0ubuntu3
  Architecture: amd64